The first step in building this organisation is perhaps to decide what its goals are. In doing this, the development of a charter seems a wise idea. This will of course be subject to revision and further additions etc.
These are some preliminary ideas that I have had. Perhaps they should later be divided into goals/objectives etc:
- Promote, through an evidence based approach, the use of Nuclear Energy for Electricity Generation and other applications.
- Gain media publicity, to bring attention to the fact that not all Environmentalists oppose Nuclear Energy.
- Counter demonstrate at anti-Nuclear events.
- Encourage the government to offer tax breaks to encourage the building of New Plants.
- Lobby for a legal framework to ensure that a segregated Waste-Management and decommissioning fund is set up. This should be paid into by operators of facilities.
- Fund research into future fuel cycles. This could again be funded by a segregated fund.
- Lobby for construction of a geological repository, with retrievability as a key design feature.
- Encourage a government/Industry enquiry into the possibility of extending the operating life times of current AGR and Sizewell B PWR plant.
I welcome all and any suggestions.